Saturday, June 18, 2011

Paris!

I am procrastinating over my thesis. Thus, a blog post.

Paris was lovely, as could only be expected. It was wonderful to see family as well! We had a fabulous time trundling around the city, and I was very happy to follow the lead of those who actually knew Paris and its windy ways. 

Notre Dame! And lots and lots of people.
Highlights were definitely wandering around Notre Dame, despite the touristy-ness, the Musée D'Orsay (the Manet exhibit is spectacular), and an absolutely amazing restaurant we went to on the first night I was there, which served French/everything else fusion food of a sort I have never encountered before. The combinations of flavors were so odd on paper, but SO GOOD IN APPLICATION. It was pretty fantastic.

Also later I tried escargot, because...well, because. It mostly tasted like butter and garlic, which I am a-okay with. I also generally gorged myself on bread and cheese and chorizo. 

The city is filled with motorcycles instead of Vespas now, it seems. It makes me want to learn how to ride bikes and be a badass. I am probably not cool enough to follow through with this, however. 

I got to see almost the entirety of the Louvre as well, due to having an entire extra day to myself before my flight. Which meant I got to hang out in Napoleon's apartments, and lust after his furniture.

Not the gold stuff, though. Because seriously, it was like the Doges Palace only French, and that is ridiculous. But look at this! I want this:


Sphinx embellishments! Contrasting wood tones! Black accent stripes! I want them. There's a matching settee too. Furniture shopping with dead emperors, that's how I roll.

This post is aptly demonstrating how I have completely lost all coherence due to a massive head cold that struck me down as soon as I returned to England. Gah. 

I'll just see myself out. And maybe buy some nyquil and tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment