Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Whitby: Abbey ruins are my favorite thing.

Doris's sister and her friend are visiting from Germany for the week, so Doris rented a car to take them around, and I happily tagged along for the ride when they went down to the coast at Whitby on a rather glorious day yesterday.

It seems that coastal towns all have the same general feel of boardwalks and artisan shops and random goth stores. It kind of felt like Cape Cod.

However, Cape Cod does not have fantastic ruins on cliffsides. I swear, I will never get tired of these half-crumbled churches and abbeys, they are just way too beautiful.




It was a fantastic day for picture-taking, as is probably apparent, and for the first time in what seems like aeons, I actually brought my own camera, so I had a lot of fun framing shots.
 

Then we wandered around town a bit--it was really crowded with families, since it's Easter vacation--and walked out along the harbor.





After that, we had lunch at a pub before climbing back up the 199 steps to the abbey (apparently the number is a big deal? It was on a sign post) and heading home. Spring is cooperating quite nicely so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment