Tuesday, September 28, 2010

In which my emailing skills are employed with haste.

I have been proactive, and as a result have basically hounded the entire admissions and English departments of Durham to make sure that I can actually enroll properly.

To put this in context, apparently Leeds is going to take until December to finish processing my MA degree, which means that I can't provide proper documentation to Durham until then to get an unconditional placement with them, which means that I can't enroll. So I've spent most of the last couple of days emailing everyone from the administrator at Leeds' English department to the Durham admissions secretary to the senior tutor at my college to work it out.

To their credit, everyone's been really helpful, so it was mostly just me mildly freaking out while everyone else was competently answering my questions around me. Anyway, the last word is that I'm getting conditional enrollment status until I pass my MA, at which point I'll be bumped up to permanent status, unless I fail, and then I have to leave. So yes, now I'm good. It all seems rather obvious in retrospect, but I suppose I just had inflated expectations of grade-processing time.

To conclude, I am slowly getting better at this whole communication thing. Having email helps a lot, considering I will never get over how much I hate talking to strangers on the phone.

In other news, I have a new flatmate! And clearly the world is very small, because she's from Goshen, NY and went to Fordham for undergrad. So yeah, we bonded over the city. So now Tom's going to move out and Doris, from Germany, is going to move in, and then the house will be settled for the year. I think it'll work out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment