Sunday, September 27, 2009

Conversation win!

I finally had a proper conversation with one of my flatmates! Her name is Summer, or rather, the Chinese word for summer, though she allows everyone to just call her by the English translation. I've known her to be around for a while, but we'd only really exchanged hellos before, but today she was fantastic and outright asked me if she could practice her English on me. We had a really good chat, and I did my best to speak clearly and explain the distinction between words like "religion" and "belief" in a lucid manner. I'm finding it really fun and interesting to have these sorts of conversations since I have to think hard about semantics and why English is the way it is. I told Summer she was welcome to knock on my door any time to ask questions, and I hope she does. If I'm going to suck at being bilingual, the least I can do is help other people be better at it than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment